Saturday 23 June 2012

Caught red-handed

A few days ago, I received an email from PayPal - so what? Well, the email popped into a mailbox address that is not registered with my PayPal account. It read Dear Customer, Our Technical Service department has recently updated our online services, You are required to verify your account security details in order to start using our PayPal services as normal. due to this upgrade we sincerely call your attention to follow below link and reconfirm your online account details. please ensure that all security details are entered correctly in order to avoid loose of account. Thank you for helping us protect you. PayPal I need not draw attention to the terrible grammar, diction and punctuation of the piece. A quick call to PayPal proper confirmed the fraudulent intent of the mail. An email from a genuine company will always address the customer by name. My subsequent Google search revealed that a multitude of these ‘phishing’ emails are loose on the net. I also discovered that the link included with the above email could have unleashed spyware onto my computer – if I had clicked it. I did not. So beware, and take care… https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/securitycenter/general/RecognizePhishing-outside

No comments: