Saturday 20 July 2019

One small step.....

"It's disgusting", said the woman, as she quivered with rage on being asked her opinion of the anticipated moon landing. "Have they nothing better to do?"
"Well, no," I said aloud, to the woman's television image, fifty years after she had spoken. "In 1969, they HAD nothing better to do." Like, what else had they to do in the decade defined by space travel? And it makes me proud that I was born in that there decade, that I was a child of the space race. This week, I have grown addicted to those eerie images of the past, the gas-guzzling cars and the psychedelic clothing, the steam-punky technology of the control centres, the filled ashtrays nestling over monochrome screens locked into grey metal casing. More striking still are the fashions, the male suits and shirts looking cool and contemporary alongside the dated bouffant hairstyles and cats' eye sunglasses of the women. Such an event could only have happened in summer, the Apollo 11 rocket towering against the metaphorical blue skies' backdrop, intent faces trained on Cape Kennedy absorbing the extraordinary events with the same aplomb as they licked their ice-creams. And I punched the air and screamed aloud on seeing the lunar module test flight without its covering of tin foil. Believe me, today's drones are its direct offspring....more to follow.

No comments: