Saturday 6 June 2020

Telstar....the reason I didn't go into music.....

A few days ago, Ben Beaumont-Thomas, Laura Snapes and Alexis Petridis of The Guardian saw fit to publish “The 100 Greatest UK No 1” hit songs. I thumbed through it eagerly, pleased to see that my favourite instrumental of all time appeared at no – 86? Well, what’s a few digits between friends, and just think of all of bazillion releases that didn’t make it to that top 100? Friend, I tell you now that Telstar (Tornadoes, 1962) is the reason that I ruled out forever, even the notion of becoming a musician. How I thrilled to listen to that opening buzz sounding off of the radio, followed by that yearning paragraph, heavy with the ambition of would-be space travellers, those layers upon layers of luscious chords building up to something magical happening elsewhere, out there, the music of the spheres, indeed! But as I grew up, I discovered the truth, that there was Telstar and all of the others, that, to use the words of the above writers, “nothing had sounded like it before or has since”. So, at the grand old age of – six, I renounced forever the idea of a career in music. But X number of years later, Telstar is as aspirational and heart-stirring as ever and to anyone planning to go explore the cosmos, it might yet become the anthem... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B7ypA1fSwU

No comments: