Thursday 10 May 2012

Vidal Sassoon, RIP

Several posts ago, I waxed lyrical on the work of Vidal Sassoon, the man who contributed more than anybody in freeing women from their stifling, lacquered bouffants. Well, Mr Sassoon is now dead, and I bow my fluffy, unkempt head to this maestro of the hair salon. Sadly, I never had the bone structure requisite for a five-point geometric bob. A gal has to be built along modernist lines to walk the walk of Shrimpton, Hornby, Farrow, et al. However, I cherish the extraordinary VS hairdryer that I bought in 2002 for £12.99 and that was/is still going strong; 1800 watts, folding handle, 2 heat/speed settings, worldwide dual voltage, and cool shot button. When it does eventually break down, I will keep it as a museum piece. In the meantime, I go into mourning for this man who contributed as much as any artist or architect to visual culture in the twentieth century

No comments: