Thursday 30 November 2023

Biobank Rules OK

I have (almost) never used this site to post a boast, but this time, I make an exception. The story began over ten years ago when I received a letter from an outfit named Biobank, requesting I become part of an ongoing health and wellness research programme. Being ever the curious type, I jumped on board the hay-wagon and found me in a West London building, lining up with other volunteers to undergo a raft of medical checks and fill in questionnaires. The day culminated with us handing over DNA swabs, police drama style. And that was the beginning. Alas, I haven’t been singled out as descended from fruit bats/aliens/Atilla the Hun since then. But I have filled in many more questionnaires and participated in other tests. Today, an article by Ian Sample of the Guardian has cited Biobank’s research as contributing to over 6,000 academic papers, exploring the cause and possible cures of degenerative diseases such as diabetes, cancer and Alzheimer's. Egad! It’s so-ooo exciting to know that one’s double helixes are fulminating out there, somewhere in cyber-space, alongside those of the other 499,999 participants, showering benefits on all mankind. Told you so, Ma and Pa, that the genetic aberration you created would come in useful for something, did I not? With that, I’ll open a bottle and anticipate the Season of Excess. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/nov/30/genetic-data-on-500000-volunteers-in-uk-to-be-released-for-scientific-study

No comments: